Past Barks

Thursday, August 22, 2013

How I Met My Dog - Life is Golden

If you are a reader of Modern Dog Magazine, you may have come across this article in the last issue. I decided to repost it here, because, well, I wrote it! So without further ado, I bring to you:

How I Met My Dog
Life is Golden
(Originally The Percy Colson Saga)




It was a cool, sunny December day in El Paso, Texas. The wind was blowing, as usual and my husband and I, along with our daughter, were on our way to the feed store to pick up dog food for our four dogs. We'd already tried once that morning and found it closed, so finally, at ten AM, we were headed back.
We had just reached the end of our street when I saw a large flash of gold dart in between two parked cars and shoot up a drive way.
“Another one?!” I nearly exploded, El Paso was notorious for neglecting its animals, and this dog was the second we'd seen wandering, and stopped for, that morning. I wasn't mad at the dog for being on the street – I was mad at the owners of the dog, having conjured up an image in my mind of the poor thing being left out in the chilly night air.
My husband pulled the car over and I got out carefully, quietly so as not to startle the dog. I picked up the slip lead I habitually kept in the car and searched my coat pocket for treats. None. I hoped I wouldn't need them.
I walked up to the sidewalk and spotted the dog about 15 feet away from me, cowering by a closed back gate.
“Hey, sweetheart. Where are your people?” I asked softly. He was a Golden Retriever puppy. He had eyes the color of melted chocolate, and even in his situation, an undeniably bright smile.
“Do your people live here?” I asked and got up to ring the bell. No answer. I went back to him, closer this time. “Come here, baby.” I reached out my hand and he crawled to me, half on his side, half on his belly, like some strange animal from a sci fi movie. I leaned in and bridged the gap between us, laid a hand on his belly and...
He pee'd on me. Not a trickle. Not a stream. A river. He was terrified for whatever reason and as I shook the dark urine off of my hand, he flinched. I shook my head.
“Do you like to go bye-bye?” I asked.
No response, no perk of the ears or wag of the tail like my dogs would have. He placed his head in my lap and I put the slip lead over his head.
“Come on, lets go see if you have a microchip.”
I carefully loaded him into our van and went around the corner and up the street to the closest vet's office where we were told that there was no microchip.
After we got home, I called a friend at the Humane Society where I had put in a ton of volunteer hours. “Hey, so, I found a Golden pup this morning. About ten months old, scared of his own shadow. No microchip, no collar, nothing.”
“Put up found fliers, but don't be too specific. If he's purebred people will jump trying to get him 'back' when he wasn't theirs to begin with.”
My fliers read “Found, Golden Retriever at Bainbridge & McCombs, please call Annie to give details,” and left my number.
The next morning they were all gone. I posted them again, thirty of them, all around the neighborhood. By that evening, they were all gone again.
In my eyes, the silly thing was just a puppy, but in someone else's eyes, he was, apparently a holy terror. In the first 48 hours, he stole a fresh package of bacon, destroyed a $200+ pair of cowgirl boots, ate half the contents of my refrigerator, managed to knock down our two year old several hundred times, scattered the garbage throughout the house repeatedly; no matter how high up we put it, and destroyed the power cord to my laptop. My husband was livid.


“You have to find him another home.”
“We leave for Colorado in a week and some change. There isn't time. By the time I have time to find him a new home, I'll already be attached.”
I was already attached.
At the ten day mark, we named him. My husband and I each wrote about 12 names on individual strips of paper and I held them out in my hands for the dog to choose. Carefully, gently, he sniffed the bits of paper and ever so gingerly dove into the pile in my hand and emerged with several stuck to his face, but only one in his mouth. I retrieved it.
“Percy,” I said with a smile. “I think Fred or George would have fit you better, but you've got the right shade of red to be a Weasley. Welcome home, Percy.”
“Voldemort is more like it,” my husband grumbled, and we both laughed.
And so he stayed. Percy is now neutered and in classes to learn to control his excitement, but he is well loved, less skinny, and has integrated beautifully with our other four dogs. He loves to play fetch, lay by our daughter's high chair an eat home baked treats. He is also still a counter surfer extraordinaire, but we're all a work in progress, aren't we?


No comments: