Past Barks

Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Read It List #1

    For those of you who haven't figured it out, I may be as nuts about my books as I am about my dogs - if not, its a pretty close second. I read a lot, probably four books a week (I literally read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 12 hours, to give you an idea of how fast I read, and if I have nothing else to do, I can read the entire Potter series in a few days.) My husband gave me a Nook last year which has only increased my voracious book appetite, and books that have long been on my "Must Read" list are getting read like wildfire, and I'm going to post my favorite recent k-9 related reads here for ya'll to check out!


I'll start out with Dog Days by Elsa Watson - this book is just the right amount of romantic, funny, and sad, with a happy ending that will leave you wanting more (I have more of Ms. Watson's books on my "Must Read" list.) This book is well written to the point of feeling like you've become one of the characters and you're seeing the goings on from their point of view rather than reading it - you'll laugh and you'll cry, and you'll even find yourself saying "What the fuck?!" a time or two. Dog Days is well written, well thought out, and an all around awesome book for anyone who wonders what it would be like to become a dog.


Dog On It by Spencer Quinn is the first in a series of epic mysteries that will have you begging for more as you follow Chet and Bernie, an unlikely detective team, on an adventure to find a client's missing teenage daughter. If you're a mystery lover, like myself, you might just get addicted to this series.


Up next is Dog Star by Susan Waller Miccio, another mystery. Abby Swann is an antiques dealer, the owner of two gorgeous Tibetan Spaniels named Dawa and Senge, and now an impromptu detective on the case of her friend's missing Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Teke. Teke is filming a commercial for their little town when he goes missing, but the missing dog isn't the icing on the cake - its just the beginning. Abby and her dogs find themselves in deeper and deeper trouble, and the ending will leave you stunned.



My final Whodunnit recommendation is Once Bitten by Laurien Berenson, which is one of many books in her absolutely fantastic Melanie Travis series. Melanie Travis is a mom and special education teacher by day, who shows Standard poodles in her off time, and seems to get tangled up in murders far more often than she'd like. In this book, she struggles to find the killer of her brother's wedding planner, Sara Bentley, and discovers more than she'd ever bargained on. This thrilling mystery will have you on the edge of your seat - I couldn't put it down (and now I have a whole shelf full of Laurien Berenson books... they're an addiction.)


    My fifth and final recommendation is The Dangerous Book for Dogs by Rex and Sparky. This book is laugh out loud funny and will have tears of laughter rolling down your face as Rex and Sparky teach your dogs to get into maximum mischief. From how to properly chase a car, to how to avoid the vet, you'll get the inside scoop on just what exactly your dog may be thinking... I'm pretty sure my dogs have read this book a time or two (Rex or Sparky may just be Percy's pen name.)

If you have dog related books you think I NEED TO READ, you're probably right! Please leave me a comment, or send me an email at UGoDoggy@gmail.com and I'll add it to my "Must Reads" - and maybe review it!

All My Paws,
Annie



















No comments: